Monday, February 7, 2011

Winter Wonder...lude

Christmas? Done. New Years? Can't even remember it. So whatever are we to do for excitement with the long, dreary Ottawa months until the Tulip festival? The answer, dear folks, is WINTERLUDE! Finally another reason to get "Let it Snow" stuck in your head again!

The festivities kicked off this past Friday night with some completely awesome fireworks celebrating the 100th anniversary of Parks Canada. They completely blew me away and even surpassed the Canada day display (with an added bonus of not having to listen to Celine Dion belt "Oh Canada"...), so I'm looking forward to seeing what else Winterlude has got going this year.

The next two weekends are going to be packed with events at Jaques Cartier snow park, the Museum of Civilization, all along the Canal, and at Rogers Crystal Garden, where you can see beautiful ice art in action, such as this gorgeous one from a few years ago:

So grab an accomplice and a thermos of hot chocolate(Bailey's optional?) and go check it out. Drop by YJ for our warm and fuzzy vintage sweaters and hats, and grab your copy of the events calendar, or check it out here.
...And don't forget to snowsuit up!





So if you're like me and enjoy wandering around staring at the softly falling snow with headphones on, here's my favorite picks for  a winter weather playlist:

1. Skating - Vince Guaraldi Trio
       I keep the Vince Gueraldi spirit all year long

2. Winter Wonderland+Winter's Love  - Animal Collective
     Sleigh bells riiiinnng, are you listenin'....no, wait....

3. Neighborhood # 1(Tunnels) - Arcade Fire
         I wish this song would happen to me in real life

4.  Winter Vacation- Atlas Sound
         I'm not on vacation, but it is winter

5. The South Sound - British Sea Power
        "The North Sound" would be a more appropriate track for this, but I like this one better

6. I Slept with Bonhomme at the CBC- Broken Social Scene
         From the best BSS album ever

7. Snowballs and Icicles - Broken Social Scene Presents: Brendan Canning
       Appropriate I think

8. Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn (Album) - Do Make Say Think
         If you find this album don't wait listen to it

9. Winter Weather - Benny Goodman
        A little winter schmooze

10. The Arctic Circle - Final Fantasy
         This man is a genius

11. Wind and Snow - Grouper
         For if you're trying to fall asleep in a snow bank

12. While I Shovel the Snow - The Walkmen
        Very topical, solid song

13. Fox in the Snow - Belle and Sebastian
       Ah, 90's winter angst

14. White Winter Hymnal - Fleet Foxes
        Mentions snow alot...I'm kinda running out of captions here

15. A Hazy Shade of Winter/I am A Rock - Simon & Garfunkel
       Oooh I just can't decide!

16. Sister Winter - Sufjan Stevens
        Just ignore the big "Merry Christmas" finish

17. Northern Sky - Nick Drake
        It's impossible to not feel warm and fuzzy listening to this song

18. January Rain - David Grey
       Some of these may be from the Serendipity soundtrack...yeah so what?

14. Un Bon Chocolat Chaud - Carmen Campagne
       Last but not least, the song that will be forever associated in my brain with my childhood winter experiences

So there you have it: a few more reasons to enjoy the next stretch of cold wintery days!


....Unless your like, really excited about Valentine's day. Which I'm like totally not. I mean bleh, gross. I definately don't want any flowers or chocolates or anything. Ew.


xo YJ

No comments: